Get used to Windows for many years and several times on Ubuntu but this is my first time to a Mac, i feel awkward getting the way through… there are some cool things and there are some bad things compared to windows OS, see it for yourself !
- There are no shift-delete and i can’t find a way to delete a file without move it to trash first, it takes time and not efficient.
- You can not show desktop (windows+D) without installing a utility (use F11 for quick windows hide)
- You can not use function keys for functions, just you it for the brightness / volume adjust … you will need to install a utility then (try function flip).
- You can force move files around by cmd+drag just like shift+drag/drop on windows
- You can force copy files by alt+drag just like ctrl+drag/drop on windows
- There are no end/home/pageUp/pageDown keys, use cmd+arrows instead
- The delete button actually is backspace, there are no pc-like delete button
- The mouse has only 1 button, want right click ? tap with two fingers
- Replace cmd for pc’s ctrl : cmd+c for copy, cmd+v for paste, cmd+x for cut (editor only, won’t work on Finder), cmd+z for undo
- Delete a file / folder : cmd+delete, just press delete won’t have any effect (why?)
- Need to scroll down / up a file ? hold 2 fingers on the mouse pad and move at the same time – just works exactly like your mouse wheel.
- Want to unzip a file ? double click onto it, the file will be extract to a folder. Want to view the content of the zip without extract ? you can’t do it without install a small utility. Want to zip a folder or a file ? right click, choose archive, a new archive.zip file will be created, you can change the name after that.
- You can read an NTFS drive from Mac but can not write to it, use some utility to enable write (with slow speed to be cared about)
- Disable creation of .DS_STORE and other .CLEAN_FILES files (only for network volumes): open terminal and type the following defaults write com.apple.desktopservices DSDontWriteNetworkStores true or use Tinker tool, any suggestion for completely remove .FILES for shared volumes between Mac + PC ? BlueHarvest ?
to be continued …